Basil Lemon Chicken Panini
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large Limoneira Misfit ™ lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1 loaf ciabatta or 1 loaf other rustic bread
- 1⁄4 cup basil pesto or 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 large tomato, beefsteak, sliced
- 6 ounces Italian Fontina, sliced
- 2 ounces fresh bagged baby spinach
- Zest the lemon and squeeze the juice, combine zest and juice with oil and garlic in a small bowl.
- Put chicken breasts between wax paper and pound to an even thickness.
- Place in bag or bowl with marinade and leave for 30 minutes to 20 hours.
- Grill chicken on BBQ or broil it or even cook it in a hot skillet, 6-8 minutes approximately.
- Cut ciabatta into 4 sandwich size pieces or use whatever bread you prefer. put 1 tbs of pesto on both sides of bread.
- Add chicken, Fontina cheese, tomatoes and spinach to each.
- Grill in panini press or in a cast iron pan with another heated cast iron pan on top of it to press it down until cheese is melted.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 Limoneira Misfit ™ lemon, zest and juice of
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Additional parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Sautee onion in butter until soft.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Add rice to onion mixture.
- Stir well to coat all grains of rice.
- Adjust heat to low-medium.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth plus 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
- Broth should simmer, reduce and thicken.
- Add another 1/2 cup of broth.
- Stir until absorbed.
- Add another 1/2 cup of broth and repeat process with remainder of broth and then water- 1/2 cup at a time.
- If necessary, add more water.
- When rice is done (tender but not mushy), remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Season with salt, pepper and the remainder of lemon juice.
- Serve with grated parmesan on top.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice from Limoneira Misfit ™ lemon
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon rind
- For the base mix the butter into the flour and sugar.
- Mix with hands until it clings together.
- Press into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For the filling, beat together eggs, sugar and lemon juice.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- Stir into egg mixture.
- Pour over baked, cooled crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars.
Lettuce Misfit Lemon Wraps
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup water chestnut
- 2⁄3 cup mushroom
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 -5 leaves iceberg lettuce
Special Sauce Ingredients:
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from Limoneira Misfit ™ lemon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
Stir Fry Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil.
- Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until ready to serve. Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
- Eventually add your desired measurement of mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over the wraps. Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
- Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done. Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
- Keep oil in the pan, keep hot. As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
- Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl. When chicken is cool, mince it similarly as the mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil. Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to pan. Add stir fry sauce to pan sauté mixture a couple minutes then serve in lettuce leaves.
Golden Misfit Potatoes
- 8 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large wedges (about 6-7 wedges per potato)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Limoneira Misfit ™, juiced
- Sea salt
- Fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 420°F
- Put all the ingredients into a baking pan large enough to hold them.
- Season generously with sea salt and black pepper.
- Toss to distribute ingredients.
- The garlic will drop into the water/oil solution but its flavor will permeate the potatoes, and this way, it won't burn.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- When a nice golden-brown crust has formed on the potatoes, stir them to bring the white underside up, season lightly with a bit more sea salt and pepper and sprinkling of oregano.
- Add 1/2 cup more water if pan appears to be getting dry, and return to oven to brown other side of potatoes.
- This will take about another 40 minutes.
- Do not be afraid of overcooking the potatoes- they will be delicious.
Misfit Lemon Green Tea
SERVINGS: 8-10 cups
- 1 packet green tea
- Juice from ½ Limoneira Misfit ™ lemon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Brew the tea in a large tea pot. Timing depends on how strong you like your tea. Suggestion-15 minutes then dilute with hot water Transfer the liquid to a large jug and add lemon and sugar.
- Add more sugar if needed. Drink hot or cold.
Lemon Misfit Meringue Pie Martini
- 1⁄2 ounce vanilla vodka
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 3 ounces half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 ounce prepared sweet-and-sour mix
- Juice from half Limoneira Misfit ™ lemon
- Whipped cream (to garnish)
- Lemon, slice (to garnish)
- Shake in a cocktail shaker filled with ice until chilled.
- Strain into a large martini glass.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with Limoneira Misfit ™ lemon slice.
Misfit Lemon Granola Salad
- 3 large chicken breasts cut in half (lengthwise)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup granola cereal, ground
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
- 1 (8 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- In large skillet heat about 1/4 cup olive oil on medium heat.
- Slice chicken breasts in half creating 6 pieces, season with salt and pepper.
- In small bowl combine egg and dressing, beat.
- In additional small bowl combine ground granola and bread crumbs, season with salt and pepper.
- Dip each chicken breast into egg/ranch then coat in granola/bread crumbs, covering completely.
- Add to skillet and brown on each side until done.
- Squeeze lemon juice over top of chicken.
- Serve on top of fresh spinach, dressing and favorite salad ingredients.