Sparkly White Chocolate Lemon Truffles
10 ounces high-quality white chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon corn syrup
1 drop lemon extract or pure lemon oil
Zest of half a lemon
white sanding sugar for coating
- Add white chocolate and butter to a bowl, then microwave on medium power for 30 seconds.
- Stir a few times, then microwave for 20 more seconds.
- Add heavy cream and corn syrup to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat just until bubbles appear on the edges.
- Immediately pour the cream over the melted chocolate and butter, stirring well for a few minutes until combined.
- Stir in the drop of lemon oil and lemon zest, mixing to combine.
- Place in the fridge (or even the freezer) for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from fridge and scoop out teaspoon-size balls of chocolate with a small spoon.
- Roll them into balls and dip in the sanding sugar, coating completely.
Dark Chocolate Lemon Ganache Tartlets
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon chilled whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chilled whipping cream
12 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon (packed) grated lemon peel
6 lemon peel twists (optional)
- Combine flour, powdered sugar and salt.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg yolk, cream and vanilla, folding until moist chunks form.
- Gather dough into ball.
- Divide dough in half.
- Flatten each half into disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F.
- Roll out 1 dough disk on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out three 6-inch rounds and transfer each to a 4 1/2-inch-diameter tartlet pan with a removable bottom.
- Press dough into pans. Fold in any excess dough; press to form double-thick sides.
- Repeat with the second dough disk so that you end up with 6 crusts total. Freeze crusts until firm, or about 5 minutes.
- Place crusts on large baking sheet.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool crusts completely. Remove crusts from pans.
- Bring 3/4 cup cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon lemon peel.
- Divide chocolate among cooled crusts.
- Refrigerate tartlets until filling is set, about 1 hour.
- Combine 1/4 cup cream and 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel in large bowl.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Spoon whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip.
- Pipe cream decoratively atop tartlets.
- Garnish with lemon twists, if desired.