German-Style Strawberry Lemon Champagne Punch
- 1 pound strawberries
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Cointreau or other Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon zested (see instructions)
- 2 bottles Riesling or other semi-sweet white wine
- 1 bottle dry Champagne Prosecco or other sparkling wine
- Chill the Riesling and sparkling wine for at least an hour in the fridge.
- Trim and slice the strawberries into quarters into a large glass punch bowl.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the berries, and stir gently to coat. Set aside in the fridge for about 15 minutes so that the juice begins to draw out of the berries.
- Add the Cointreau to the berries and let them soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the zest from one lemon in a spiral from one end to the other. Cut the spiral into smaller segments – the idea is to create a decorative as well as flavorful addition to the punch.
- When the berries are ready, pour the Riesling over the berries, add the lemon juice and zest, and use a long spoon or spatula to gently stir the mixture together.
- Chill the fruit and wine mixture in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Just before serving, pour in the Champagne or sparkling wine, and stir gently.
- Serve by spooning into large glasses with some fruit along with the liquid.
- Garnish with mint leaves if desired.