Italian-Style Cara Cara & Moro Blood Orange Salad
- 3 cara cara oranges
- 6 moro blood oranges
- 1/4 large red onion sliced thinly
- 1 bunch fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1/3 cup pistachios lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2-3 drops orange-flower water* optional
- Add ice to a medium size bowl, filling it to about the halfway mark. Add the red onion slices to the bowl, and cover with water. Refrigerate as you prepare the other items, but not more than 30 minutes or so. Drain well before adding to the salad.
- Peel the fruit with a sharp knife, taking off as much of the peel and white pitch as you can.
- Separate the oranges into segments, and cut carefuly into the membrane to separate out the flesh. Arrange them on a platter and set aside for now.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan until just warmed.
- Stir in the vinegar over a very low heat.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, hot paprika and stir together for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and add the orange flower water, if you are using it. Stir together thoroughly.
Assemble the Salad
- Arrange the red onion slices with the orange segments, and sprinkle with mint leaves throughout.
- Top with feta cheese and pistachios.
- Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.