Lemon Almond Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons finely ground almonds
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Measure the butter and granulated sugar into a large bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest, egg, and ground almonds, beating until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour one tablespoonful at a time, beating as you do. Dough should be thoroughly blended.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Use a tablespoon to from the dough into balls about the size of a walnut. Arrange them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Flatten the dough balls slightly to about 2 inches in diameter.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies should be golden around the edges.
- Transfer to racks to cool.
- Whisk the lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar together in a bowl.
- First, place a piece of wax paper or paper towel underneath the rack. Dip the tops of each cookie in the glaze and return to the rack, glaze side up.
- Allow the glaze to dry for about 15 minutes before serving.