Did you know that citrus peels contain super cleaning compounds? In lemon peel, it’s called limonene, and it’s the reason so many commercially prepared cleaners have that lemony fresh scent. Other citrus fruits have similar compounds, so it’s a great way to use all those peels you’d normally throw out. You can use lemon, orange, or grapefruit peels to create this strong and effective cleaner.
- Remember: You’ll need a couple of weeks at least before you can use it.
1-2 quarts of white vinegar
3-4 cups of citrus peels – can be any combination of lemon, orange, and/or grapefruit
2 clean 1-quart mason jars
1 clean spray bottle
What to do:
- Divide the citrus peels and pack them into each jar about evenly.
- Pour white vinegar into the jars to within a quarter-inch or so of the top, making sure the peels are covered.
- Cover each jar with the lid and close tightly. Shake them.
- Place the jars in a fairly cool place out of direct sunlight and let them steep for about 2 to 3 weeks. The effect will be stronger the longer you let it go.
- When you want to use it, strain some out into the spray bottle, adding water in a 1:1 ratio.
- Shake and you’re ready to use it.