Classic Lemon Curd
- 2 eggs
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice about 4 lemons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Cut butter into small pieces and allow to come to room temperature.
- Combine whole eggs and yolks, sugar, and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter, a few pieces at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Strain through a fine sieve into another bowl, and cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap, pressing it directly on surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least 2 hours (or up to 2 days).