Creamed Lemon Spinach
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach
- 1 shallot chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet at a medium-low setting.
- Chop the spinach roughly and rinse quickly, leaving a few droplets of water on the leaves. Add the spinach to the skillet and saute until it wilts.
- Strain any extra liquid from the spinach.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the skillet at a medium setting and saute the shallots for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft.
- Add the mustard and garlic, and continue to saute for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour until it coats everything, and then the milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until the sauce bubbles and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add the chopped spinach, lemon juice and zest, and stir into the sauce.
- Add the Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper to taste.