Face masks and facials using fresh lemon juice can be a healthy and effective part of your skincare regimen – so say the experts. Dermatologists agree that natural ingredients, including lemon juice, can help you achieve your skincare goals. Here are three recipes you’ll want to try at home.
Before You Begin
- Blend the ingredients in a blender or food processor, or you can use a fork and your own elbow grease.
- Apply the face masks to the skin gently. You can use a circular motion, but don’t try to rub all of it into your skin. Leave it on for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- If you’ve never tried these before, the best advice is to do a patch test first, using about a dime-sized amount of the ingredient on the inside of your forearm.
- Be sure to rinse them off thoroughly. Lemon juice, if left on the skin, can make you more sensitive to the sun’s rays than usual.
- Use them about once a week – not daily.
- Do not use if you have open sores on your face. Wait till the surface skin has healed.
About The Ingredients
Here is why these natural ingredients work to help keep your skin soft and clear.
- Lemon juice has natural antibacterial qualities, and it also helps your skin to exfoliate, or slough off dead skin cells. It also contains Vitamin C, which is known to have many beneficial properties.
- Honey has a dual effect. It is a wonderful natural moisturizer that can help leave your skin feeling soft. At the same time, it can break apart the excess oils (or sebum) on your skin to help keep it clear.
- Buttermilk can help calm and soothe your skin by moisturizing. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which can reduce redness and irritation.
- Bananas contain enzymes that will help to exfoliate the dead skin cells on the surface of your skin.
- Greek yogurt has soothing and hydrating properties, due to the lactic acid content.
- Cocoa is a potent anti-oxidant.
- Baking soda has both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Egg white will help to tighten and tone the appearance of skin as a temporary fix.
Lemon Cocoa Mud Mask
2-3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon buttermilk
1/2 of a banana, mashed
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
Lemon/Honey/Baking Soda Facial
1/2 Lemon, juiced
1 to 2 tablespoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon honey
Lemon/Honey/Egg White Mask
1 egg white
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon honey