Treat your skin – and your senses – to this gentle DIY soap that’s lit up with the luscious scent of lemons. The soap is easy to make, and other than soap molds – which you can buy at any craft store – it requires no special equipment. You’ll also find melt-and-pour glycerin soap at the craft store too.
Note: Be sure to store your soap in an airtight container so you preserve the lovely lemony scent.
8 ounces unscented glycerin soap
1 lemon, zested
1/4 teaspoon lemon essential oil
- Cut the unscented glycerin soap into small chunks.
Stove top method:
- Fill a small saucepan about one-third with water, and turn the heat to a medium setting.
- Add the soap chunks to a small heat-proof bowl, or a smaller saucepan, and place it in the first saucepan. You’ve created your own double boiler.
- Heat the glycerin, stirring occasionally, until it starts to melt.
- Add the lemon zest, continuing to heat and stir gently until thoroughly melted.
- Place the glycerin soap chunks and the lemon zest into a glass measuring cup.
- Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, checking and stirring with a spoon.
- Once the soap is just melted, stop microwaving and stir together.
- Allow the soap to cool slightly as you stir away form the heat, adding the lemon essential oil.
- Pour the soap carefully into the molds and allow to cool completely.
- Store, and use as needed.