Halloween Pumpkin Punch
- 750ml bottle spiced rum
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup spiced syrup
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 cups sparkling water
- cinnamon sticks to garnish
- dry ice optional
- large pumpkin hollowed out
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon sticks broken into pieces
- 1 star anise pod
- 6 white peppercorns
- 1/2 nutmeg cracked
- Begin with the spiced syrup. Add all the spices to a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Shake the spices as you heat them so they toast and begin to release their aromas, without burning to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add the water and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and turn the setting to a low heat, allowing the liquid to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature before using it.
- Add the spiced rum, orange and lemon juice, spiced syrup and pumpkin puree to a large bowl. Stir together thoroughly.
- If you are using dry ice, place a metal bowl inside the hollowed pumpkin, and use tongs to fill the bottom with dry ice. Then, place a smaller bowl inside it to hold the punch. When you are ready to serve, add hot water into the bottom bowl – this will make the spooky mist come up from underneath the punch bowl.
- If you aren’t using dry ice, then simply place only one bowl inside the pumpkin and add the punch.
- Let your guests serve themselves, with cinnamon sticks on hand for garnish.