Herbed Meyer Lemon Orzo
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 2 teaspoons finely minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter preferably unsalted
- 1 meyer lemon
- 1 garlic clove coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces feta crumbled
- 1 cup sugar snap peas cut in half, or fresh peas
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil in a large pot along with a pinch of salt, and add the orzo.
- Cook about 15 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed.
- As it cooks, heat the butter in a saucepan over a medium low heat.
- Add the shallots and cook a few minutes until translucent.
- Zest and juice the Meyer lemon, and add both to the pan, along with the herbs, black pepper, and chili pepper flakes. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- When the orzo is cooked, drain, reserving a little of the liquid. Rinse the orzo briefly in cold water.
- Return the orzo to the pot, and stir in the Meyer lemon butter sauce. Use reserved pasta liquid to thin the sauce if desired.
- Add the feta last, and stir in briefly before transferring to a serving dish.
- If you add peas, cook them separately in boiling water until just turning tender and still a little crunchy.
- Add to the sauce along with the Meyer lemon juice and zest, and cook the sauce another 2 to 3 minutes to infuse the peas with flavor.