- 10 lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 bottle vodka 80-proof or higher
- If the lemons are not organic, scrub the peels under warm water to remove any wax added for appearance sake.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the lemons in a spiral, taking care to take up as little of the bitter white pith as possible.
- Place the peels in a large, clean glass jar that is sealable. (Save the lemons to juice for your favorite recipes or drinks.)
- Pour the vodka over the lemon rinds, taking care to submerge them all.
- Seal the jar, and shake it a little. To add an extra seal, place a piece of plastic wrap between the jar and lid.
- Store it in a cool, dark area for at least two weeks, and up to one month, shaking it every few days.
- Once it is done, it should be a nice lemony yellow color.
- Using a cheesecloth, strain the liquid into a large pitcher.
- Now, make the simple syrup by combining the sugar and water in small saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved, and the syrup begins to thicken.
- Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature, and then combine it with the strained lemon vodka. The initial result should be slightly cloudy.
- Serve refrigerated.