Lemon Basil Cheesy Pizza
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- sea salt
- extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Make the dough first, ideally a day ahead.
- Add the water to a bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Whisk until blended.
- Let it stand for about 5 minutes. It should be foamy.
- Now, add the flour, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt. Stir until it forms a dough.
- Flour a flat surface and scrape all the dough from a bowl onto the surface.
- Knead until the dough is smooth. It should take about 5 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball. Grease the inside of a large bowl and place the dough in it. Cover the bowl with plastic warp and let it sit undisturbed in a warm place (at least room temperature) for about 1 hour.
- Uncover the dough and cut it into two equal halves. Form them into balls.
- Repeat the process: grease two bowls, and set each dough ball into one of them. Cover with plastic wrap and let them stand in a warm place for about 5 hours. They should be approximately double in size.
- When you are ready to use the dough, punch it down into the bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F with the rack in the middle position.
- About 15 minutes before you are ready to start, place the lemon slices in a bowl of water to soak. Just before you begin, drain out the water and place the slices on a paper towel to dry.
- Taking each ball of dough at a time, dust the dough with flour and then roll out into a circle on a floured surface.
- Place the dough onto the baking sheet and stretch it out to the edges.
- Arrange the mozzarella slices on top.
- Next, arrange the lemon slices on top, and then the basil leaves around them.
- Drizzle everything with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 5 or 6 minutes, until the dough is puffy.
- Slide the pizza briefly from the oven and add the feta cheese crumbles.
- Turn on the broiler and leave it under the heat 30 to 60 seconds, or until the edges of the crust begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with pine nuts.