Lemons can help you keep your laundry clean and smelling fresh on a regular basis. Nowadays, we’re all aware of the fact that commercially prepared cleaning products of all kinds can add a slew of chemicals into your life from the floor to your wardrobe. Even fragrances and scented products are usually made with artificial agents. Lemons are a natural cleaning solution that brightens whites and can also be used with colored fabrics.
• The most important rule is, separate out the whites and colored fabrics.
• Use freshly squeezed lemon juice diluted in the ration of 1:2 – as in, 1 cup lemon juice to 2 cups water.
• For colored fabrics, fill the tray and/or designated slots with the lemon solution.
• It works best with warm or cold water washes.
• Put it through the wash cycle as usual.
• Take them out when done. They are best dried indoors rather than in the sun, which may lighten the colors.
• For white fabrics, after you fill the tray/slots with lemon solution, add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt to the liquid and stir it as best you can.
• Wash as usual. You can use warmer temperatures if you wish.
• Dry indoors or out.